Frequently Asked Questions


I just registered on-line for membership; when do I get my password for the Member’s Only area?

Once your membership has been processed by the Membership Coordinator, he or she will send you your password via e-mail. This can take approximately 5 business days.

What is the difference between regular and associate membership?

Regular membership is intended for those who work in the OHS&E industry and who actively implement health and safety procedures into their workplace. A regular membership can be for a consultant (internal or external); OHS&E Coordinator, Director, Specialist, Advisor, Manager, Assistant; Registered Nurse; Risk Specialist; Construction Safety Officer, etc. Regular members can participate in elections and vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).

Associate membership is for those individuals who work with or sell safety equipment. Associate members do not have voting rights at the AGM, but enjoy the same benefits of a regular member.

Is my company a member of the CSSE?

Membership with the CSSE is individual; there are no corporate memberships. However, the CSSE offers a Group Billing Option for organizations that employ 5 or more CSSE members. If you’re interested in Group Billing, please contact the CSSE Office at 416-646-1600.

What is the difference between HST and GST?

HST is the Harmonized Sales Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island.

GST is the Goods and Services Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in the Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.

I’m currently enrolled in part-time studies. Can I apply for student membership?

Yes. However, if you are currently employed as a Health and Safety professional, you must apply for regular membership. Student Membership is intended for those who are not currently employed in the OH&S industry and who are currently enrolled in school.

Is my company GST/HST exempt?

To find out if your organization is GST/HST exempt, please contact your accountant or financial services manager.

Are memberships transferable?

Memberships with the CSSE are not transferable. If a CSSE member changes jobs, the membership remains with the member.

I’m not an engineer. Can I still join the CSSE?

To become a member of the CSSE, you do not have to be an engineer; however, you must work in occupational health and safety.

I’ve paid my membership and mailed in my proof of student membership as requested. Why don’t I have access to the member’s area of the website?

Even though applicants are given the ability to pay their membership online, the “proof of student status” must be received and reviewed in the office before the membership application is completed. Once the entire application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a confirmation email which will include your login details.

I am a full time student in (country outside Canada), which member type should I apply for?

All full time students may apply for student membership, no matter in which country they are a full time student, as long as the applicable proof of “student status” is provided.

I just turned 65 years old, do I qualify for “retired” membership with CSSE?

The Retired member type is for those no longer employed in the field of Health and Safety and is not associated with the legal retirement age. If you are still employed in the field you are ineligible to apply for the retired membership category.

Courses & Conference

I’m registered to take an in-class course. When do I find out where the course is going to be held?

Course details and location information are e-mailed to all registered participants approximately 10 days prior to the start date of the course. If you are unsure whether or not you are registered, please contact the Course Coordinator immediately at 416-646-1600.

I’m just registered on-line for an on-line course; when do I get my password for the course?

The Course Coordinator first needs to process an application before issuing the password for the course; this can take approximately 3 business days.

Are course and conference registrations transferable?

Course and conference registrations are transferable. Please do not send a replacement without first contacting the CSSE Office at 416-646-1600.

What is your cancellation policy?

Registration fees for in-class courses and the annual conference are fully refundable if written notice is received by the CSSE Office a minimum of two weeks before the course. If notice is received less than two weeks before the course, 50% of the registration fee will be refunded. Those who are "no-shows" at the course or conference will receive no refund. Registrations can be transferred at any time.

I want a CSSE course to come to my city. How should I proceed?

If you’re interested in the possibility of having a CSSE course come to your area or business, please view the following document:

CSSE Chapter-Sponsored or 'In-House' Training Programs (pdf)

CHSC Designation

What is the CHSC designation, and how does the CHSC designation differ from the CRSP designation?

The Certified Health and Safety Consultant (CHSC) designation is administered through the CSSE and recognizes and promotes leadership excellence in professional consulting in the area of occupational health and safety. CHSC designation holders have successfully completed additional specialized training on law, ethics, the consulting process, project management, measurement and evaluation, and applied risk communication.

CHSC designation holders are CSSE members who have passed mandatory examinations, hold professional liability protection, and maintain their designation by participating in the Society’s CHSC Maintenance Program to keep them leaders in the field. CHSCs abide by a CHSC Code of Conduct.

To begin the process of earning the designation, the CSSE member must currently be an internal or external health and safety consultant and have a minimum of five years work experience in occupational health and safety and possess minimum prior academic and professional qualifications. Obtain more information about the CHSC here.

The CRSP designation is administered by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP). A CRSP applies broad based technical safety knowledge to develop systems that will achieve optimum control over hazards and exposures detrimental to people, equipment, material and the environment. A CRSP is dedicated to the principles of loss control, accident prevention and environmental protection as demonstrated by his or her daily activities.

The BCRSP conducts a mandatory CRSP Exam and CRSP holders must also be involved in a mandatory maintenance program. For more information, visit the BCRSP website.

Which designation should I take first – the CHSC or the CRSP?

The individual health and safety professional must determine for himself or herself which of the two designations best fits his or her current experiences in health and safety and best meets personal professional development objectives at the time.

An individual holding the CRSP designation demonstrates many of the prerequisites for entering the CHSC program.

Many individuals have earned both designations. You will see both designations as ‘expected’ or ‘preferred’ by potential employers depending on the particular expertise or the health and safety role an employer hopes to fill.

Do I have to take all six CHSC courses to obtain the CHSC designation? May I be exempt from taking a course if I can demonstrate equivalency? May I write a CHSC Exam without taking a course?

Individuals who wish to obtain the CHSC designation are currently required to take all six CHSC courses:

CSSE values the exchanges that occur between CSSE Instructors and students, the networking between health and safety colleagues, and the contributions that you bring to a course. No equivalency is granted at this time. In other words, no substitutions may be made in lieu of taking any of the six required CHSC courses. At this time CSSE does not allow candidates to write a CHSC Exam without having participated in the applicable course.

Is there a particular order to take CHSC courses? Do any of the courses have prerequisite CHSC course?

The CHSC courses may be taken in any order. However, the Education Steering Committee strongly advises taking the Applied Risk Communication and the Leadership Development courses after having successfully completed the other four.

How quickly do I have to complete all six courses to earn the CHSC designation?

Candidates are expected to undertake the first CHSC course within one year after being accepted into the program. Candidates may complete the six courses as quickly as they can manage, but are expected to have completed the six courses within a total of six years after being accepted into the program.

What happens if I don’t pass a course? Am I ineligible to continue in the CHSC program if I fail a course?

CSSE requires that all CHSC candidates pass the final Exam in each course to successfully complete the course. The pass grade is 75%. Exams with scores 70% - 74% may be appealed, in writing, if accompanied with the appropriate administrative fee.

Course in which candidates have failed an Exam may be re-taken at one-half the normal registration fee. An Exam may not be challenged a second time without re-taking the course again and a course may be undertaken no more than three times in total.

After any unsuccessful appeals and if the candidate has not successfully passed a course after all re-taking options, the individual must withdraw from the CHSC program.

CSSE Website & Career Depot

I’ve forgotten my password to the Member’s Only area. How can I retrieve my password?

If you've forgotten your password to the CSSE website, please use the "I forget - remind me!" link found on the CSSE login page. You must enter the email address on file with the CSSE. If you are still having difficulty, please call the CSSE Office at 416-646-1600, or Contact Us (please select "Membership Information" as your subject on the Contact Us form); a staff member will be happy to provide you with your user information.

Can I post my resume on your website?

The resume posting service is currently only available to CSSE members in good standing. Resumes are listed on the Positions Wanted page of the Career Depot. If you are a CSSE member and would like to have your resume posted, please submit it using the online form.

Can I post a health and safety job advertisement on your website?

Yes. The Career Opportunities page is one of the most popular pages on the CSSE website. For detailed information on how you can promote your job advertisement on our busy job board, please visit the CSSE Career Depot.


Where can I locate Canadian on-line injury statistics?

What Canadian schools offer occupational health and safety programs?

What are the salary ranges for Canadian health and safety professionals?

The Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) conducts a salary survey of all Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (CRSP) every two years. The most recent survey was conducted in 2009.

I would like information on how to immigrate to Canada as an occupational health and safety professional. How do I know if my education and experience is transferable?

For information on immigrating to Canada as a skilled worker, please visit the three government links below:

I need to develop a health and safety manual. Where should I start?

Some regulators provide guides designed to assist in documenting and implementing an effective safety and health program. Check with regulatory authorities in your jurisdiction; often, information is available on-line at regulator web sites.

Additionally, check with your local CSSE Chapter; they may also be able to assist.

What non-governmental organizations (NGOs) generate standards that relate to safety, health, fire protection, life safety, etc.?

Here is a partial list of non-governmental organizations that generate standards related to safety:

Why does the name of the Society include "Engineering" when the membership is not exclusively comprised of Engineers?

The CSSE is an association of Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Practitioners that are engaged in the engineering of safety; that is to say: designing, developing and delivering programs, policies and procedures that manage risk and control loss.