Consulting Skills for the OH&S Professional
Consulting Skills for the OH&S Professional is a two-day course that is highly recommended for both internal and external occupational health and safety consultants. It will provide an understanding of, and practice in, the application of professional consulting skills in the context of OH&S practice.
This course reviews the functions and roles of a consultant; describes the phases of the consulting process; examines the processes of engagement, contracting and needs assessment; provides a conceptual and practical examination of client-consultant interactions and dynamics; reviews client motives and purposes for retaining consultants; and provides instruction in aspects of project and practice management through a case study approach. The course has a strong practical component.
Course participants will be able to:
- identify the qualities and attributes of an effective consultant
- describe the functions and roles of an internal or external consultant in six phases of the consulting process
- examine client-consultant interactions and dynamics and model effective processes of engagement and contracting
- implement effective marketing of consultant services to clients and employers
- develop a cost appraisal of setting up an independent consulting practice
- manage on-going self-appraisal and client evaluation strategies
The course exam is provided to participants by email within five business days of course completion. Participants have 4 weeks from the release date to complete the exam, along with a Statement of Independent Completion. The exam deadline is final. Only documented emergencies will be considered by the CSSE as extenuating circumstances for any written request for extension. Please note that delay in opening the exam after delivery, new or added work requirements, and holidays/vacation are not considered extenuating circumstances.
Successful completion of CHSC courses requires completion of a CHSC Exam with a minimum 75% standard. Exams require 10-24 hours additional time commitment beyond in-class time for the student to demonstrate mastery of the course expectations.
Candidates who fail to successfully challenge a course exam on three separate occasions will be withdrawn from the CHSC program.
- CSSE has awarded this course 16 CHSC Maintenance Points.
- BCRSP has awarded this course 1.0 CMPs.
- Completion of this course will count as one elective credit towards the OH&S Certificate at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
09/18/2019 08:00 -- 09/19/2019 05:00
10/19/2019 08:00 -- 10/20/2019 05:00
11/16/2019 08:00 -- 11/17/2019 05:00
11/30/2019 08:00 -- 12/01/2019 05:00
Grande Prairie AB