Consulting Skills for the OH&S Professional
Consulting Skills for the OH&S Professional is a two-day course that is highly recommended for both internal and external occupational health and safety consultants. It will provide an understanding of, and practice in, the application of professional consulting skills in the context of OH&S practice.
This course reviews the functions and roles of a consultant; describes the phases of the consulting process; examines the processes of engagement, contracting and needs assessment; provides a conceptual and practical examination of client-consultant interactions and dynamics; reviews client motives and purposes for retaining consultants; and provides instruction in aspects of project and practice management through a case study approach. The course has a strong practical component.
“It is great that it is online now. It saves a cost in the transportation for both instructor and student. It allows more perspective from students all over the world. “’
Crystal M. Calgary, Alberta
“Excellent but challenging two days. The online experience worked well, and the digital break-out rooms worked seamlessly. Online will be the new learning mode for most of the CSSE courses, and it’s evident from the participants feedback that it’s a winner!”
Paul C. Nunavut, Canada
“At first, I was skeptical of the online course. Having taken the course, I am really pleased. The material was good, the instructor was clear, the breakout rooms worked well. I’m now an online convert, far easier than driving through bad weather and staying in a hotel.”
Philip E. Bonnyville Alberta
Course participants will be able to:
- identify the qualities and attributes of an effective consultant
- describe the functions and roles of an internal or external consultant in six phases of the consulting process
- examine client-consultant interactions and dynamics and model effective processes of engagement and contracting
- implement effective marketing of consultant services to clients and employers
- develop a cost appraisal of setting up an independent consulting practice
- manage on-going self-appraisal and client evaluation strategies
The course exam is provided to participants by email within five business days of course completion. Participants have 4 weeks from the release date to complete the exam, along with a Statement of Independent Completion. The exam deadline is final. Only documented emergencies will be considered by the CSSE as extenuating circumstances for any written request for extension. Please note that delay in opening the exam after delivery, new or added work requirements, and holidays/vacation are not considered extenuating circumstances.
Successful completion of CHSC courses requires completion of a CHSC Exam with a minimum 75% standard. Exams require 10-24 hours additional time commitment beyond in-class time for the student to demonstrate mastery of the course expectations.
Candidates who fail to successfully challenge a course exam on three separate occasions will be withdrawn from the CHSC program.
- CSSE has awarded this course 16 CHSC Maintenance Points.
- BCRSP has awarded this course 1.0 CMPs.
- Completion of this course will count as one elective credit towards the OH&S Certificate at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
Course Registration Information
- Courses will be confirmed to run 21 days prior to the course start date and participants will be notified by email.
- If a course does not have sufficient enrolment to run, it will be cancelled.
- Courses require a minimum of 13 participants to run although occasional exceptions may be made depending on circumstances
- Participants with unpaid registrations must confirm their attendance by completing payment within one week of the email confirmation date. A payment due date will be included in the email notification.
- Any unpaid registrations will be cancelled 14 days prior to the course start date.
- Confirmed payments in-process from companies will be taken into consideration.
- Links to course materials will be sent to all registered participants 10 days prior to the course start date.
Tax Exempt Registrations
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: In order to be eligible for a GST/HST tax exempt course registration, your registration must be requested and paid by an entity with a CRA Tax Exempt status and number.
Download Tax Exempt Registration Form