Project Management for the Health and Safety Professional
This two-day, hands-on course is designed to provide health and safety practitioners with the tools and techniques to plan, manage, close and evaluate a project related to the health and safety environment. Based on best-practices in project management today, participants will also examine the leadership skills required to link health and safety project management to the operational areas of his or her entire organization.
Participants will work on a “live” project from the health and safety environment and apply PM tools and processes to simulate a complete project life cycle: from initiation to closure. Comparisons will be drawn between participants’ current projects and past case studies.
Teams will be structured so that each team has participants from various work environments. The course is hands-on, with practice simulations, using forms and templates commonly used in the project management field.
The course will be based on the 6th edition of PMI’s Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) and Canadian best practices in the safety profession.
“This was a solid and enriching course over all, I am very satisfied with my learning experience”
Marcel T. Vancouver, British Columbia
“Great course! The Instructor was awesome. Great content, great pace!”
Monique N. Edmonton, Alberta
“Overall an excellent introduction to project management that will be very helpful for future projects.
Well worth taking.”
David L. Orangeville, Ontario
Course participants will be able to:
- Use the terminology and processes of modern project management
- Define the business case for a H&S project
- Prepare a complete and accurate project plan for a H&S project
- Facilitate team discussion to learn from the experience of others
- Use project management forms and templates for a H&S project
- Discuss project life cycles and the importance of milestones for project control
- Build a project schedule with major milestones
- Identify the interaction of a H&S project with the day-to-day operations
- Build a communications plan for the H&S project to ensure longterm success
- Value the importance of post-project reviews and evaluating project success
- Value the benefits of a consistent project management methodology.
The course exam is provided to participants by email within five business days of course completion. Participants have 4 weeks from the release date to complete the exam, along with a Statement of Independent Completion. This statement shows that the participant has read and understood the exam instructions, and is submitting an independently completed exam, with any and all collaboration and outside resources are acknowledged therein. The exam deadline is final. Only documented emergencies will be considered by the CSSE as extenuating circumstances for any written request for extension. Please note that delay in opening the exam after delivery, new or added work requirements, and holidays/vacation are not considered extenuating circumstances.
Successful completion of CHSC courses requires completion of a CHSC Exam with a minimum 75% standard. Exams require several hours additional time commitment beyond in-class time for the student to demonstrate mastery of the course expectations. With the exception of the Obligations & Liabilities course, exams follow a case study analysis format.
- CSSE has awarded this course 16 CHSC Maintenance Points.
Course Registration Information
- Courses will be confirmed to run 21 days prior to the course start date and participants will be notified by email.
- If a course does not have sufficient enrolment to run, it will be cancelled.
- Courses require a minimum of 13 participants to run although occasional exceptions may be made depending on circumstances
- Participants with unpaid registrations must confirm their attendance by completing payment within one week of the email confirmation date. A payment due date will be included in the email notification.
- Any unpaid registrations will be cancelled 14 days prior to the course start date.
- Confirmed payments in-process from companies will be taken into consideration.
- Links to course materials will be sent to all registered participants 10 days prior to the course start date.
Tax Exempt Registrations
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: In order to be eligible for a GST/HST tax exempt course registration, your registration must be requested and paid by an entity with a CRA Tax Exempt status and number.
Download Tax Exempt Registration Form