CSSE 2019 Professional Development Conference
Learn from the Past, Embrace the Present, Shape the Future
|Only sessions that have complete information AND have been submitted are eligible for consideration.
Should follow up to confirm information be required, a deadline for receipt of that information will be established. Failure to provide the requested information by the deadline established may result in a proposal being excluded from consideration for the conference program
The CSSE Professional Development Conference starts on Sunday afternoon and ends Wednesday at noon. Sessions on these days will align with the theme of the conference. Timing of sessions will range from 45 minutes to 3½ hours in length.
GUIDE TO PROPOSERS
The focus of CSSE’s Conference is on interactive, multi-disciplinary sessions that provide highly usable information and techniques. Sessions will fall into the following general areas:
- Technical Sessions
- Leading Edge Sessions
- Experienced-based Case Studies
- Professional Development (accreditation)
- Webcast / Live Stream Sessions*
Special requirements such as special room set-ups need to be communicated in the proposal and will be accommodated if possible
New for 2019 - Lightning Session Format: On Tuesday, September 24 th, 2019 the conference program will be comprised of a series of 10, six-minute "Lightning Sessions", linked together into a one-hour keynote.
Following the keynote, the concurrent sessions for the remainder of the day will be comprised of 45-minute presentations by each of the Lightning Session speakers, elaborating on their keynote presentation. Each presentation will be repeated three times throughout the day, allowing delegates to design their own program and choose which presentations they are most interested in attending.
RELEVANCE TO CONFERENCE THEME
Proposals should clearly indicate how the presentation reflects the conference theme, and how the session may increase knowledge of the topic and enhance the skill sets of the participants.
The CSSE Professional Development Conference is a gathering of experienced occupational health, safety and environmental professionals. Senior-level viewpoints are particularly encouraged as well as “how to” approaches or case studies. Plan your presentation with the following points in mind:
- Use concrete examples;
- Include hints to take back and use immediately;
- Don’t be theoretical – use true stories or case studies;
- Use best practices, including a variety of opinions.
CLASSIFICATION OF WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
All presenters are asked to classify their workshop session on the following 3-level classification system to guide delegates with selecting the presentations that fit their needs. Please note that the classifications are topic-based and not based on seniority or the number of years one has served in their career. CSSE reserves the right to reclassify a workshop session if it is determined by the Conference Committee that the content does not match the submitted classification.
|Health and safety programs and elements||Health and safety management systems (goal-oriented)
Introduction to risk management
|Risk and goal-based management systems that include health and safety systems|
|Hazard identification, assessment and control measures||Integration of safety into business process and design||Strategic initiatives; national/international measurement and impacts|
|Compliance issues and legislated requirements||Best practices; consensus standards||Advocacy for regulatory reasonableness and evolution|
|Personal/Self-improvement/Awareness||Teams/Working with others development||Supervisory/Management - advanced development|
Presenters are expected to:
- Provide high-quality handouts and relevant resources and/or samples to participants, including take-aways such as flow charts, one-page summaries, etc. as appropriate;
- Agree to provide conference organizers with a soft copy of the handouts for pre-conference, online, restricted access by conference delegates and for post-conference sale via the CSSE’s Live Learning Centre (LLC)
- Note: the CSSE’s LLC hosts e-learning content. The audio recordings are synchronized to the PowerPoint presentations and available online post-conference.
- Agree to grant permission for CSSE to audio record your speech and use the associated material (PowerPoint files) for the purpose of publishing and/or sale of event-based materials for/from the CSSE 2019 PDC for distribution in any media format on behalf of CSSE. CSSE may use some or all of these components either in whole or in part, synchronized or not;
- If submitting a proposal for a virtual session (live stream/webcast), agree to grant permission for CSSE to video record and webcast your speech and use the associated materials.
- Provide a short outline of presentation for inclusion in the Conference brochure;
- Make no substantive changes in content, process, names or numbers of presenters without the approval of the conference planners;
- Agree to refrain from marketing their own products or services;
- Share openly their knowledge, experience, skills, and creativity with participants;
- Agree to a high quality AV presentation.
CSSE will provide complimentary registration to all accepted presenters valued at over $900.00. Presenters will be asked to cover their own travel and lodging expenses.
Please note: if your employer is covering the cost of your travel and lodging expenses, please be sure to have their confirmed approval for same prior to submitting your presentation for consideration.
To be considered, please complete this process and submit by October 21, 2018 11:59 pm Pacific Time.
By submitting to the Call for Presentations, you acknowledge you have read and understand all terms and conditions as outlined above.
468 Queen Street East, Suite LL-02
Toronto ON M5A 1T7
Tel: (416) 646-1600 Fax: (416) 646-9460