Membership FAQ


Regular membership is intended for those who work in the OHS&E industry and who actively implement health and safety procedures into their workplace. A regular membership can be for a consultant (internal or external); OHS&E Coordinator, Director, Specialist, Advisor, Manager, Assistant; Registered Nurse; Risk Specialist; Construction Safety Officer, etc. Regular members can participate in elections and vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).

Associate membership is for those individuals who work with or sell safety equipment. Associate members do not have voting rights at the AGM, but enjoy the same benefits of a regular member.


Membership with the CSSE is individual; there are no corporate memberships. However, the CSSE offers a Group Billing Option for organizations that employ 5 or more CSSE members. If you’re interested in Group Billing, please read the group billing page or contact the CSSE Office at 416-646-1600.


Once your membership has been processed by the Membership Coordinator, he or she will send you your password via e-mail. This can take approximately 5 business days.


HST is the Harmonized Sales Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island.

GST is the Goods and Services Tax that is applicable to those individuals who live in the Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.

To find out if your organization is GST/HST exempt, please contact your accountant or financial services manager.


Yes. However, if you are currently employed as a Health and Safety professional, you must apply for regular membership. Student Membership is intended for those who are not currently employed in the OH&S industry and who are currently enrolled in school.


Memberships with the CSSE are not transferable. If a CSSE member changes jobs, the membership remains with the member.


To become a member of the CSSE, you do not have to be an engineer; however, you must work in occupational health and safety.

The CSSE is an association of Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Practitioners that are engaged in the engineering of safety; that is to say: designing, developing and delivering programs, policies and procedures that manage risk and control loss.


Even though applicants are given the ability to pay their membership online, the “proof of student status” must be received and reviewed in the office before the membership application is completed. Once the entire application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a confirmation email which will include your login details.


All full time students may apply for student membership, no matter in which country they are a full time student, as long as the applicable proof of “student status” is provided.


The Retired member type is for those no longer employed in the field of Health and Safety and is not associated with the legal retirement age. If you are still employed in the field you are ineligible to apply for the retired membership category.


Powered by in1touch